Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mulch vs. Rock

So, yesterday was stressful because my hubby and I disagreed on finishing off the backyard with mulch or to go for a complete change and use rock. Since I want the backyard finished by the 4th (having a family BBQ that day,) I wanted mulch, especially since we have half of it already done in mulch. Also, none of us could handle putting in rock, especially my Hubby, so I won. Hubby pouted and hardly spoke the whole time we were at Home Depot purchasing the mulch and trim stuff. Then he really put on his hair shirt when he heaved 24 bags of mulch into the back of the Durango. Poor thing, its tires were nearly flat, it was so weighed down. The Durango, not Hubby. Hubby had to take a nap when we got home! Well, so did I, to de-stress. The wine came later.

Today, I plan to start the mulching project. Hubby got out all the implements I will need and gave me instructions on how to put down the edging stuff. If I get this task finished without crippling myself, it will be a miracle. My arthritic knee is twinging just at the thought.

Tomorrow, I will go out to select shrubs and plants. There are so many I would love to have, but I think I will get some horsetail bamboo (I know, it spreads, but I'll contain it) and other ornamental grasses, jasmine, gardenias, and succulents. These are things which have survived well in other parts of my yard, so I have high hopes for them in the backyard.

We have lived in this house since November 1992 and we are just now finishing the back yard. No hurrying to get anything done at our place!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you didn't hurt yourself! Did Jenny & Jason help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they didn't help with this part. Jenny hasn't been feeling well and I broke Jason on the sod project. He injured his arm. I did this part myself, a little at a time. It is still not complete, but I hope to get it done tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete