Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Honey-Do Lists


Dan is anxiously awaiting for my retirement to begin because he realizes how much he has needed adult supervision. And, he is especially looking forward to the honey-do lists, so he doesn't wander aimlessly around the house. As a computer science professor, he teaches four nights a week, so he is at home all day with nothing to do except play his stupid computer game, polish and shine his Corvette, and nap. He yammers about lesson plans, grading and reading papers, dealing with students, in addition to his work with the faculty union, but I’m not so sure about all that.

I think the first thing on his honey-do list is to clean out his office. He has the very first book published listing websites on the Internet, hundreds of those old 3x3 floppy disks (why do we continue to call them “floppies” when they were really very rigid?), several manuals for out-dated computer applications, stacks and stacks of papers (he files vertically), dead computers and monitors, file cabinet drawers full of ancient invoices and cancelled checks. But, every time I bring up cleaning his office, he starts whimpering and goes fetal.

As I left the house this morning, Dan was explaining to the cat that this was their last day of solitude. "Mommy will be home with us every day, all day from now on, Teddy." The cat's eyes got huge as if to say "What?! I won't have the bed all to myself!? Or the couch?" Dan said "Yeah, my one and your nine lives are over as we know them." Well! I was going to cook gourmet meals and make special kitty treats, but I'm not so sure about that now either.

I don't have much to do today here at work, so I'll just continue to work on the honey-do lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment