Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Purses, Bags, and Totes, Oh My…


I love purses and own more than I care to confess here. The last few years I have tended to buy the “organizer” type bags. Organizer bags don’t require a wallet for credit cards and money. They have several slots for credit cards, zippered pockets for change, a pocket for a cell phone, and other sections for makeup, a small notebook and calendar. I carry hand sanitizer, baby wipes, and Kleenex in the most accessible pocket, things I need to get to quickly for the grandkids. The other compartments and pockets hold lipstick, mirror, aspirin in case I start to have a heart attack, toothpicks, travel size toothpaste and brush, nail clippers, sunglasses, and pens. Yeah, I was a girl scout, learned to be prepared.


My four year-old granddaughter loves to dig through my purse. First, she goes for my cell phone and makes several international calls before I notice. She also changes settings and erases contacts, but that’s usually for the best. She then takes a piece of my “mean” gum. It is mean because it is very strong peppermint, which she doesn’t like and spits out in my hand immediately. In fact, the first time she tried it, she cried. I can never convince her it is not the sweet gum she likes.


Next, she tries on my lipstick, insists on applying it herself. (Ah, just a little crooked, honey.) She makes notes on my calendar, little scribbles on every page, jots things on my grocery list, and tries my lip-gloss, which is really just a little container of Mentholatum, which she does like. Finally, she gets to the little surprise I try to keep in my purse for her. A couple Hershey kisses or special dark chocolate miniatures, which ruins her dinner. Grammie is a hopeless spoiler, but it is amazing how just one little piece of candy can fill her up so she won’t eat the delicious meal her momma makes.


I bought a new bag yesterday and have been arranging and rearranging all my stuff in it. I haven’t taken it out shopping yet; that will be the test of how I ultimately like it. Since I am instilling in my granddaughter the love of purses, I can’t wait for her to check this new one out. And, the first thing I will buy while carrying this new bag will be candy for the “little surprise in Grammie’s purse.”

1 comment:

  1. A portable treasure hunt and fodder for fond memories: your purse. What, you don't have nose hair scissors and a nail file in there? That's what my hubby tends to ask me for when we're out and about. Still haven't put either of them in, though. 'cause it may not stop there. Next he'll want an Irish coffee and some gadgetry to check the weather report. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete