Friday, October 15, 2010

Romance Novels

The subject on my mind tonight is how to choose a romance novel that isn't just a sexed up bodice ripper. Now, I want some sex, but not on every page. I don't want to read over and over how the skin on the heroine's heaving bosom is flawless ivory and how beautiful and irresistible she is. I don't want it repeated over and over how dangerously handsome and aloof her lover is. Reminds me of the Eagle's song, "Life in the Fast Lane," which has a line that goes, "he was a hard-headed man, he was brutally handsome, and she was terminally pretty.” Some of that sort of description is acceptable, but I want to know specifically why at the Hotel California you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. I like historical novels like "Follow the River." Or, stories about China and Japan like "Memoirs of a Geisha." I want to read about how the people lived, what they ate, and how they cooked it. I like descriptions of their clothing and house furnishings and their jealousies and treachery. I know I just haven't hit on the correct search parameters, so if anyone can help me with that, I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment